Here’s the thing about meatloaf – I know a lot of people who turn their nose up at the very idea of such a thing. But this isn’t Grandma’s meatloaf. We don’t eat a lot of beef at home, and things like ketsup are just so bland. So I do it a little differently, and being the ‘it has to be quick or I don’t have time’ person I am, the recipe is small.
- 20 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 cup oatmeal (not the instant kind. This needs to be whole oats)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup salsa (any kind – we’ve used pinapple, raspberry chipotle, restaurant style, black bean, and all other kinds), divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- Have a bread loaf pan on standby (no greasing needed)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large bowl, mix the turkey, outmeal, egg, and 3/4 cup salsa together by hand until well-blended (wear latex gloves if you’d like, but it really works best to do it by hand in some way)
- Smoosh it all into the pan
- Cook for 45 minutes
- Remove from the oven, spread remaining salsa evenly over the top
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes
- Let rest for 10 minutes and then slice into 8 pieces and serve.
- We frequently put a dallop of sour cream on each slice when we serve it.
It’s that simple. Five minutes of prep, 1 hour 10 minutes cook time, and you’re all set!