I have memories from when I was younger of brownies being this amazing, sweet, chewy, chocolatey treat that wasn’t too hard and wasn’t too gooey, but landed somehwere in the middle of the two. And I swear this childhood dream was based on a mix that came from a box.
But it’s been years (almost decades) since I could recreate those kind of brownies in real life. From a box, from a bakery, from scratch, I could never manage it. Except now I have, and even better there’s a twist. These aren’t just brownies, they’re chocolate orange brownies.
And they’re super, super simple to make. I’d even dare say they’re easier than your standard box mix. So here goes:
- 1/2 cup butter (typically one stick, and it can be cold and straight from the fridge, no need to let it soften first
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp orange extract (that’s really all it takes to give these treats the perfect orange zing)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baker’s cocoa
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
For us, we always have these ingredients in the house. That’s one thing I love about this recipe. And a bottle of orange extract lasts a long time.
- Grease an 8×8 baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan
- Remove from heat, mix in sugar, eggs and orange extract until well blended
- Slowly stir in cocoa
- Slowly stir in flour and salt
- Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan
- Bake for 25 minutes
It’s really that easy, and these are super yummy when they’re done ^_^